FAA has questions for US military on Spectacular Titans football game flyover (Updated)

It’s also possible that the downdraft from the rotors kicked up objects and debris in the stadium, posing a problem for passers-by below. “This overview was a bit [too] close to bringing down the flags and the camera,” a fan tweeted afterwards, highlighting those concerns.

FAA regulations require that military overflights “be conducted at 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle,” said retired aviation safety inspector Larry Williams. NewsChannel 5 survey. If civilian aircraft had been involved, “most likely these pilots would have had their licenses suspended or revoked”, he added.

That being said, it’s a recurrent issue for the US Army and disciplinary measures have been taken against pilots who have flown fixed-wing aircraft at low altitude over sporting events in violation of these regulations in the past.

However, an official “Guide to low-flying aircraftavailable on the FAA website states: “Helicopter operations may be conducted below minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute on-time emergency landings during power outage emergencies. [in] this section if the operation is conducted without danger to persons or property on the surface.” It is unclear whether any Army regulations applied in this case in addition to FAA guidelines for overflights. rotary wing or if derogations had been obtained in advance.

Whether or not the FAA or the military believe that this particular flyby over Nissan Stadium violated official regulations and warrants some sort of formal review remains to be seen.

Update 01/12/2021:

In response to additional questions from NewsChannel 5 surveyFAA answered by saying that “we do not comment on ongoing investigations”. This clearly shows that his response to this overview has now entered a new stage.

Major General Joseph McGee, chief of the 101st Airborne Division “led [a] preliminary investigation into this event,” said U.S. Army Lt. Col. Terence Kelley, spokesman for the service, said separately army time.

Contact the author: joe@thedrive.com

Source link

Comments are closed.